The studies regularly say students invest nearly 10 hours a week in studying.
Those number are pointless. Here is why:
1. Mean is not the mode. Students studying an average of 10 hours a week doesn’t mean most students study 10 hours a week. It means if we add all the times up and divide by the number of students we will get 10 hours a week. In a sample of ten students, we could get an average of 10 hours a week by having 1 student study 80 hours a week and 9 students studying a little over 2 hours. The most common student would only study closer to 2.
2. Surveys are not reality. People are notoriously bad at answering survey questions about their life. They dramatically estimate information wrong in virtually every survey of this kind.
3. When a student says they study 10 hours a week they’re answering a survey question that they have an incentive to answer high for. Answering low would make them feel guilty. Answering high would make them feel good. (Well… I skip study sessions almost every night BUT I NORMALLY STUDY 2 HOURS A NIGHT.)
4. Bad data corrupts the good data. The survey taker can’t distinguish good data from bad data in a survey like this. They can lop off the extreme highs and extreme lows but that just corrupts the data intentionally to hide how corrupt their original data is because some of those highs and lows are true. I’ve known many a student to write random bs on surveys they are forced to take for class. This is a fundamental flaw with surveys.
5. Look into your own life. How many people do you know in college that spend 2 hours a weeknight studying? I’m sure you can name a handful but think about the rest of them. Most students study a fraction of that amount of time. (Playing videogames, drinking, partying, and virtually anything else takes priority.)
Time To Stop Slacking And Get Cracking
Are you sick of muddling around in mediocrity?
Have you learned the hard way that the traditional (aka boring) approach is a horrible mistake?
Learning shouldn’t be painful. It’s natural and it will feel that way when you’re doing things right.
Get instant access to our members-only CONFIDENTIAL strategies.
Jaw-dropping powerful study advice…
We expose the TRUTH about academics (and how it’s actually pretty easy to dominate when you figure this out.)